Sunday, November 30, 2008

screw shredded wheat, i'll never eat organic french toast

A little blunder happened today... quite embarassing on my part. But funny for the rest of the creepers who read this. Here goes:

Today my dad decided to take me out to lunch to this restaurant downtown. He's been meaning to take me out for quite a while, but he either a) had plans or b) forgot. So, today he finally remembered and we went to this organic brunch restaurant. I went in there, and it seemed like 'hmm... this could actually be a pretty good place.' It was like walking into an Ikea restaurant... chairs with circles plastered in them, groovy lounge chairs and Andy-Warhol type paintings of animals for sale on the walls ($900/piece. Wow!) So me and my dad go in there and it turns out, he knows the owner. But no surprise there, because my dad seems to know everyone... he might even know you (haha creepy... i'm sorry). My dad ends up introducing me to the owner, and she seems like a nice lady. She had a comfortable vibe about her, like if you had the feeling you were being followed, she was the kind of person you would go up to for help because she looked friendly and safe. Anyways. She was nice. And I ended up knowing the cook there, Omar. All proper and polite greetings about.
Then, she sat us down and gave us the menu. My dad asked what the special was and she was like 'oh well it's french toast with cinnamon topped with local pears and bananas.' Come on. That sounds GOOD, doesn't it? So I ordered that while my dad ordered some eggs. Then we sit in an awkward silence, my dad telling me about teaching jobs and how they're scarce... blah blah blah, I pretend to listen, but am really evoked in the people around the restaurant. I was trying to eavesdrop on their conversations.
Then the food comes after a solid 23 minutes. Finally. I look down at my plate and... ew. What is that? Oval bread? Rye bread? What's all this froth on top? No... no. That's not what I ordered, miss. But since I'm too damn shy, I don't say anything and figured I mine as well give it a try. I take a bite... and oh my gaaatz, it tastes like my own puke. I take a sip of milk.
"How's the toast?"
"...Good!"
Actually, the total opposite. I take another bite (as I had two pieces of bread I had to devour up). And again, theeeee single most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. There were nuts in the bread, I couldn't taste the cinnamon at all. And the froth on top was like dirty tap water mixed with old milk... not good. It felt like I was on Fear Factor, where they had to eat those disgusting things. Except there was no money involved!
After my first piece was done and overwith, I seriously felt like throwing up. I was gagging in my mouth, literally. Every piece I ate, I had to bite my tongue (yes, and chew at the same time) and hold my breath, while still trying to remain nonchalant. Then, on my 3rd piece, it happened. Yes, it just stormed out onto the floor... bits of nuts and all. Throw up. Hallelujah, the floodgates have released!
After "letting it out" for about a solid 41 seconds, I got up and the whole restaurant was just staring at me. Even the owners who had to clean it up. "Oh no, it's fine!" Thanks for the subtle encouragement, although it just depleted after everyone in the room bursted out laughing. Then... then I just simply ran out of the store and waited in the car for my dad to come out. No way was I going to go back in there.

Oh well.

Lesson learned. Shredded Wheat is better than organic french toast.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com